FANDOM


Venus
Venus Cut
Number of Sattelites None
Atmospheric Makeup 96.5% carbon dioxide
3.46% nitrogen
0.0145% sulfur dioxide
Distance from Sun 67.2 million miles
Diameter 7565 miles
12,104 kilometers
Axial tilt 177.3 degrees
Orbit 224 days
Position in Solar System Second planet from Sun
Surface Features Mainly volcanism and valleys
Albedo (geometric) 0.67 (bond) 0.9
Aphelion 68.09 million miles
Perihelion 67.17 million miles
Mass of Planet 4.87 x 1024 kg
Escape Velocity 10.4 kilometers/second

Venus is the second planet from the Sun. Venus is the hottest planet in the Solar System, though it is not the closest to the Sun, in which said title goes to the planet Mercury. The reason that this planet is hot is due to Venus' dense atmosphere. In fact, Venus has the densest atmosphere of the inner planets, and due to this atmosphere, it traps several greenhouse gases, heating the planet. Due to its similar size, structure, and mass, Venus is sometimes referred to as Earth's sister planet. Also due to Venus being the closest planet to Earth. After the Earth's moon, Venus is the brightest object the night sky.

FormationEdit

Since Venus is a rocky planet, it was created in a place close to the Sun. Accretion fused the nebula together tightly and created this rocky planet. Venus did not have a bombardment period though. While Venus was being created and because it was so hot at birth, Venus shrunk due to the amount of heat, similar to that of its neighboring planet, Mercury.

AtmosphereEdit

Atmosphere of Venus
Venus' atmosphere is mostly made of carbon dioxide which heats the atmosphere. This causes the greenhouse effect, which makes Venus the hottest planet in the Solar System. The temperature of Venus can reach nine hundred degrees Fahrenheit. Due to the combination of gases, Venus rains sulfuric acid from the atmosphere, which can also ignite many lava oceans, sending gases into the air, contributing to the density of the atmosphere. Due to the dense atmosphere, Venus' atmospheric pressure is more than ninety times that of Earth, contributing to a large amount of rock formation of the surface and no carbon cycle.

Venus's atmosphere is 96.5 percent carbon dioxide, which contributes to a lot of the heating of Venus. The rest is made up of 3.5 percent nitrogen. Other trace gases include neon, helium, carbon monoxide, etc.

Surface FeaturesEdit

Many surface features are found on the surface of Venus, including volcanoes, rivers filled with lava, and many other features that contribute to the heating, the denseness of the atmosphere, and many other factors. Volcanic plains are common on the surface, which also contribute to the amount of sulfur located in the atmosphere. Few impact craters are located on the ground, for due to the thick atmosphere, very few comets and asteroids have collided with Venus. The atmosphere stopped these asteroids very well, however, for the impact craters are no more in diameter than three miles.

PicturesEdit

Planets
MercuryVenusEarthMarsJupiterSaturnUranusNeptune

Dwarf Planets
PlutoCeresHaumeaErisMakemakeSedna

Ad blocker interference detected!


Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.